Artist's Statement

"My hanging mobiles are ever-changing works of art. The delicate balance between gravity and the gentle currents in the air around us cause the mobiles to twist and bend, appearing to give them a life of their own. They are constantly redefining not only the positive shape of the mobile itself, but the negative spaces that surround the sculpture.

I like to think of my mobiles as a reminder that although life is ever-changing, one can always find beauty and joy in it. All one needs to do is stay balanced and bend slightly with the breeze."

-Steve DeSpirito

Contact: post a comment, I will reply!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Automata

When I was a kid, I couldn't rest until I figured out how things worked. I loved taking stuff apart and making new things with the stuff I found inside. I especially get a thrill out of making something out of nothing, creating something unique just by bending wire for example. A while ago, I started making these little wire creations with moving parts just for fun. At the time, I had never heard the term "Automata" but have since realized it's a well established art form. It might be hard to tell from the photo above, but when you crank the tail of the sculpture the wings flap. I donated this piece to a charity auction and was later commissioned (by someone who was outbid!) to make similar pieces. I'll probably make more of this type of thing in the future. Below is a photo of one of the commissioned pieces. In this piece, there are two human figures that move as if they are rowing the shaft that causes the wings to flap. There are also two sets of wings that rise and fall at different intervals, and tail fins that move from side to side. Though these are not mobiles, they are fun kinetic art!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve!

    This looks very cool and it would be fun to see this move! If you get a chance please stop by our site we make some automata stuff also! : )

    Kerin

    ReplyDelete