Artist's Statement

"My hanging mobiles are ever-changing works of art. The delicate balance between gravity and the gentle currents in the air around us cause the mobiles to twist and bend, appearing to give them a life of their own. They are constantly redefining not only the positive shape of the mobile itself, but the negative spaces that surround the sculpture.

I like to think of my mobiles as a reminder that although life is ever-changing, one can always find beauty and joy in it. All one needs to do is stay balanced and bend slightly with the breeze."

-Steve DeSpirito

Contact: post a comment, I will reply!

Friday, June 5, 2009

One of my first....

This is one of the first mobiles I made with the intention of giving it to someone else. Up to this point, I had really just made them for myself because it was fun, then gave them as gifts after the fact. This time, I had the client in mind...my mom. It still hangs in her home today, some 5 years later.
The piece is made of aluminum wire with paper shapes. The paper is white on one side, blue on the other. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have made some of the shapes much larger. However, the, "client," seems very happy with it and won't let me change a thing. I did later make a piece with larger shapes that was similar to this called Branches, you can see it in another post. Feel free to contact me if you'd like a similar piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment