Artist's Statement

"My hanging mobiles are ever-changing works of art. The delicate balance between gravity and the gentle currents in the air around us cause the mobiles to twist and bend, appearing to give them a life of their own. They are constantly redefining not only the positive shape of the mobile itself, but the negative spaces that surround the sculpture.

I like to think of my mobiles as a reminder that although life is ever-changing, one can always find beauty and joy in it. All one needs to do is stay balanced and bend slightly with the breeze."

-Steve DeSpirito

Contact: post a comment, I will reply!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Barnstormers

When I was a kid, there was a sailboat mobile hanging in my bedroom. I used to lay on the top bunk and blow gently on it causing it to spin slowly as I was falling asleep. Years later, when I had children of my own, I thought back to how much I enjoyed that mobile. So, I decided to make one of my own for my kids. This is an image of that mobile, with airplanes to match the bedding my boys had at the time. I don't make many mobiles of the "stick and string" variety like this anymore, but this one opened the door to a new and exciting art form I hadn't yet explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment