Artist's Statement

"My hanging mobiles are ever-changing works of art. The delicate balance between gravity and the gentle currents in the air around us cause the mobiles to twist and bend, appearing to give them a life of their own. They are constantly redefining not only the positive shape of the mobile itself, but the negative spaces that surround the sculpture.

I like to think of my mobiles as a reminder that although life is ever-changing, one can always find beauty and joy in it. All one needs to do is stay balanced and bend slightly with the breeze."

-Steve DeSpirito

Contact: post a comment, I will reply!

Friday, May 29, 2009

Pen sculptures




I was going through some old files and found these. These are more little pieces I did for a charity auction. The idea was to take all the junk that was lying around the office and make something out of it. I kept finding old pens that didn't write anymore and liking the styling of them, noticing that they looked more like they were made by NASA than Bic. So, I assembled all kinds of pieces and parts to make these futuristic looking aircraft/spaceship things. They turned out very well, and were a crowd pleaser. Now, I keep my eyes open for these kinds of parts and pieces all the time and squirrel them away until I have enough junk (and ambition, and time) to make another piece.
One of the images shows a collage of the piece itself, along with some silly PhotoShop work I did to give it more interest during the auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment