Artist's Statement

"My hanging mobiles are ever-changing works of art. The delicate balance between gravity and the gentle currents in the air around us cause the mobiles to twist and bend, appearing to give them a life of their own. They are constantly redefining not only the positive shape of the mobile itself, but the negative spaces that surround the sculpture.

I like to think of my mobiles as a reminder that although life is ever-changing, one can always find beauty and joy in it. All one needs to do is stay balanced and bend slightly with the breeze."

-Steve DeSpirito

Contact: post a comment, I will reply!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Branches


This is an image of one of the first real "art" mobiles I ever made. I just couldn't stop once I started. This is actually a really small piece (less than a foot tall) but it can easily be scaled up and I've made a few like it in larger sizes that weren't photographed. Because of its complexity, the cost of a larger version would be around $300. Feel free to contact me if interested in commissioning a similar piece.

2 comments:

  1. This looks neat!

    Question: how do you go about making sure everything is balanced, all the way up? Have you already planned out the angles that everything hangs at, or does it just kind of fall into place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    To achieve the proper balance, I have to start with the lowest piece and work my way up. I have two different methods of creation: 1) start with a rough design concept (sketch) to get a sense of the general composition and from there some trial and error occurs to get the final piece. 2) Simply start with one balancing element and keep adding on to watch the mobile take on a life of it's own.
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete